Steve highlights dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in Parliament

Steve has raised the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (19th – 25th November).

 

Steve asked the Department for Health (DoH) what steps officials were taking to make the public aware of the symptoms associated with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Anna Soubry MP, a Minister for the Department for Health, responded by explaining that the DoH primarily raises awareness through guidance issued to medical professionals. NHS Choices also provide information on CO poisoning and its symptoms.

 

Steve also tabled a Parliamentary Question to the DoH requesting information on the cost to the NHS of treating carbon monoxide poisoning since 2010. To date, the Minister has declined to comment.

 

Steve tabled these questions in support of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week; which runs from Monday 19th November 2012 until Sunday 25th November. Campaigners hope to raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning, and its symptoms, amongst the general public.

 

Steve said:

 

“I tabled these questions to the Department for Health to help raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

“Over 4,000 patients attend A and E departments every year for carbon monoxide poisoning. This is a serious concern of mine and I’d like the Department for Health to do more to highlight the symptoms to the public so we can avoid any serious cases of poisoning, or worse, fatalities.”

Share this
Copyright Steve McCabe MP Click here for a copy of this site's terms and conditions and privacy statement